MithyxSounds

193 w/ Responses

WHAT IS THAT PIANO

Lockyn responds:

:) Glad you like?

This sounds more like something I'd hear at a zoo lol

Remixing, what's the tempo?

Skiddle responds:

I forgot it :C

Criticism
The drop isn't... a drop? The sounds you used in it are kind of strange. It's really more of a chorus to be honest. I think this needs a progression, not a buildup. Also, the piano is just... wayyy tooo louddddd.

Praise
The arp you used sounds really nice, and fits well with the song. I like your use of delay on the pluck, and I think it makes a good introductory phrase for this piece. I also really like the chord progression in this, they might be your best chords, like, ever.
Overall, you have improved a lot since I last listened to your tracks! I can't wait to see what you make next. Nice job, 4/5 :)

xXLocoXx responds:

Yeah, that's the thing I have trouble with, making a good drop. Like, I know what I want it to sound like, but I have trouble actually making it happen. If I had something like Serum or Codex that are good for drops, it might sound more like a drop. I need to practice making drops more, its my least favourite part of making a song.
Yeah, I also noticed the piano seemed a bit too loud, but I'm too lazy to go fix that. :P

Thanks for the criticism, helps me to improve. ;)

Not doing my normal Criticism/Praise format, just gonna say, this is catchy af.

still can't stop laughing
6/5 lmao

Criticism
Don't use FL Basic drums. FL Studio comes with plenty of other drums that sound good, and if you don't like them, there are literally thousands of free drum samples on the internet. The synths are very loud and annoying. The guitar is too. Speaking of the guitar, the guitar is bad. It isn't very high quality.

Praise
Assuming this isn't just a MIDI rip, you accurately recreated the tune by ear! I can what song this a cover of. If it is a MIDI rip, understand that you can get banned for that. Anyway, the mixing is OK aside from the synths. The bass could be a little more prominent, but at parts where there is bass, it's at a good volume. Lastly, the looping point is good. The loop is pretty seamless.

Overall, the sounds you used aren't very good, but you accurately recreated the tune.

Criticism
Dude, chill with the kick. It's way too hard. That's honestly more like a dubstep kick or a drum and bass kick. The snare could be a little more punchy. Also, some of the synths you used are a bit generic.

Praise
OK, you just about hit it spot on with the 80s thing you were going for. The mixing is pretty good for this genre. This genre doesn't really need too much bass, and you didn't give it too much bass. The synths may be a bit generic, but if I didn't know better, I would have mistaken them for synths from the 80s.

Overall, this is a nice track you have here. The drums do need a little work though. 4/5 :)

Wubkat responds:

Thank you for the feedback! I will make sure to fix these problems the next time I make a track in this style. Cheers!

Criticism
This isn't very melodic. Actually, it can be a little painful to listen to at times. I also suggest you turn the delay down a bit. This track is repetitive. I expected it to pick up the pace at some point, introduce some drums and synths, but it really didn't do very much. Towards the end, I thought it was starting some kind of house-y buildup, but it wasn't.
Praise
I think you appropriately used the reverb. It does give me a spaced-out, distanced, far-away kind of vibe. This kind of feel is important to the chillstep genre you were trying to aim for. Also, I think your use of filter cutoff in combination with the reverb really did a good job of making it sound far-away. Some of the synths sounded kind of nice to me, and somewhat melodic.
Overall, this track is OK. It's not the best, but it's definitely not the worst. Nice work. 3/5 :)

FelixZophar responds:

I understand...

Don't get mad about my low review, it's your first song. Nobody really makes a good first song, so just take the advice and learn. With that said, time for my usual review format.

Criticism
FL Basic Drums. Unprocessed. The only modification I can here that you made to it really is the volume. There are plenty of quality, free drum samples out there for you to use, but please don't use FL Basic Drums. If you are using FL Drums, don't use the ones that are there when you first open up FL. FL has some nice drums, just go in to the "packs" (on the left hand side) and look for some nice drum samples. Again, if you don't like those, look for some free ones online. Next, the synths. You only used a few repetitive synths throughout the song, and I can't really distinguish any sort of melody. The dynamics are bad. The mix is way out of wack. But, despite all that criticism, I did manage to find some good.

Praise
Yes, the dynamics are bad. But, you didn't make the beginner mistake that SO MANY first time producers make: not including dynamics. You actually included dynamics. Even I didn't bother with that for my first few songs. Good job on that. Also, this song doesn't sound good, but it's not necessarily boring. It can be repetitive at some parts, but it isn't entirely boring. Again, a mistake first time producers make that you also dodged.

Overall, this track doesn't sound good. But, don't be discouraged. Hopefully, you've learned a lot from making this and I hope my criticism is useful to you. I did hear several beginner mistakes that you made, but there were some very common mistakes that you didn't do. You've got potential. If you need some help with making nice-sounding compositions, check out SeamlessR on YouTube. He has over 150 bass tutorials, as well as a series on FL 12 basics and basics for production as a whole.

no longer active on ng, check out my other sites :)

Male